Fibromyalgia is a medical condition that is characterized by chronic and widespread pain and painful response to pressure. Millions of people around the world suffer from Fibromyalgia and many of them do not know enough about the disease. There is not a lot of consensus on what causes the disease but there are a few things that people do not know about that might help them in better coping with the disease.
- Fibromyalgia is not only about pain and causes other symptoms like stiffness, tingling or numbness in the hand or feet. It also causes sleep problems and severe fatigue which takes additional toll on the body.
- Fibromyalgia can be diagnosed even though it is difficult as the source of pain remains unknown. The American College of rheumatology has come out with 18 trigger points and it claims that if there is pain in 11 of those 18 then there is a good chance that you are suffering from Fibromyalgia.
- There is a growing consensus that Fibromyalgia is caused by nervous disorder. This is due to the fact that the nervous system of people suffering from Fibromyalgia reacts to pain differently than normal ones.
- The previous point can be further corroborated by the fact that many of the patients that suffer from Fibromyalgia live in stressful conditions. Therefore mental or physical stress seems to be one of the reasons for the disease.
- People who suffer from Fibromyalgia often suffer from a deficiency of vitamin D. Therefore it would be a good idea to keep the vitamin D levels in your body at optimum levels.
- More women than men suffer from Fibromyalgia. In fact the difference is as large as 3 to 1. Also the most common age at which women suffer from Fibromyalgia seems to be 40’s. There is also a strong indication that the disease may have some genetic component to it as the disease is known to run in families.
- There are some medications that help. Three drugs have been approved for Fibromyalgia by the FDA and they can lower the pain caused by the disease however these drugs do not cure the underlying reason for the disease.
- Exercise and other physical activity combined with healthy living help in curing the underlying the reasons for the disease. It is important that a person who suffers from the disease employ a combination of medicines and lifestyle changes to have a shot at curing the disease permanently.